Multifaceted Advisor and Consultant
I am a multifaceted advisor and consultant who brings my knowledge and experience as an NYSE- and NASDAQ-listed company board member, business advisor, former two-term Texas state house representative, and Harvard-educated attorney to bear on a wide range of challenges faced by corporations and other types of organizations.
I have significant leadership accomplishments in business, politics, government, and law, and strong written and oral communication abilities, including national broadcast media experience. My diplomatic skills and my unique ability to cultivate relationships and build consensus allow me to work productively with most any individual or team. Working efficiently and effectively in a collaborative manner is my advising and consulting style.
The Client-First Approach - My goal is to help you make the best real estate decision possible.
I’ve spent the past sixteen years practicing law in several settings, from Big Law to a District Attorney’s Office to smaller firms, including my own firm. During that time, I was elected to the Texas House of Representatives. In addition, I currently serve on the Board of Directors of three publicly traded companies. I am the Lead Director of Braemar Hotels & Resorts, Inc. (NYSE: BHR) (formerly Ashford Hospitality Prime, Inc. (NYSE: AHP)), a luxury lodging company whose hotel and hospitality assets are valued at $1.8 billion and is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange. I am also Chairman of the Board of Wheeler Real Estate Investment Trust (NASDAQ: WHLR), which specializes in acquiring, developing, and leasing more than 5 million square feet of retail properties. I am also an Independent Director on the Boards of Axos Bank and Axos Financial, Inc. (NYSE: AX).
I can assist you in addressing and solving issues such as:
- Advising on hospitality related matters, including risk management, brand or employee relations, proxy fights, strategy, marketing, design, and corporate governance issues
- Consulting on commercial real estate projects, including relationship development and compliance-related issues such as governmental approvals and zoning, as well as general management
- Providing governmental relations and lobbying services, including communications and media training and guidance
- Serving as a legal advisor to provide guidance and strategic advice on legal issues, including both legal risk management and evaluation of current legal disputes
- Adding diversity to your board as a board member bringing a wide range of experience in business, government, law, and corporate governance to your board, including my present experience on the board of three publicly traded companies
- Featured in a TexasMetro News article for the Superb Women Section
- Featured in a Business Wire article for being elected as an Independent Director to the Board of Directors for Axos Financial, Inc. and Axos Bank (NYSE: AX)
- Joined the panel of arbitrators and mediators for the American Arbitration Association as an Independent Arbitrator & Mediator in March 2021
- Contributor to the article, Texas should turn to private capital for critical infrastructure needs, for The Dallas Morning News in my role as a board member of Invest Texas Council.
- Featured in a Business Wire article for becoming a shareholder at my current firm, Ferguson Braswell Fraser Kubasta PC
- The Texas Lawbook, a source of law-related news around Texas, featured me in an article to all of their members for my recent transition to my new firm
- Joined the Invest Texas Council Advisory Board in January 2021
- Featured in a Dallas City Wire article, Former Rep. Carter: ‘Cutting the funding of the police while keeping bloated city bureaucracy salaries sounds irresponsible’ for Dallas
- Featured in a GlobeNewswire article for being elected as Chairman-Elect to the Board of Directors for Wheeler Real Estate Investment Trust, Inc. (NASDAQ: WHLR)
- Panel Member for Women in Power Conference, The Power of Women in Politics, also written about by representative Lori Ehrlich on her website HERE
- Attendance at Braemar Hotels & Resorts’ (NYSE: BHR) ringing of The Closing Bell for the New York Stock Exchange
- Named to the Department of Justice transition team by then President-elect Donald Trump
- Joined the Braemar Hotels & Resorts, Inc. (BHR) Board in November 2013
- Featured in The Dallas Morning News article, Ebony Magazine lists Texas Rep. Stefani Carter as a black woman changing the political game